Skip to main content

Death, Dreams, and The Thursday Survey

To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come . . .
--Prince Hamlet of Denmark, Hamlet by William Shakespeare


I think maybe my mind is preoccupied with something lately. I've been having a lot of dreams about death the past few nights. Not violent or murderous dreams; I haven't killed anyone nor has anyone been "killed," per se. No, just dying. They've been emotionally intense dreams to say the least. Maybe it's just my mind's way of trying to deal with my grandmother's sudden death and all the death and destruction inundating us every night on the television since Katrina busted the levees and Potemkin-President Bush murdered all those thousands of people through his wonton and arrogant negligence.

Hmm . . . Think I could be feeling some anger, too.

Since I wrote Tuesday's post, I have to admit my optimism has jaded a bit. The red sun rising over the horizon of my morning drive now seems less majestic and more like a plastic sack caught in an alley air current--pretty stupid and meaningless, just there. And a bit blinding.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for the "change for the better" thing to happen. I know, I know, it's only been three days. Did I mention that I am impatient and have a short attentio

So on my drive in yesterday morning, I almost had three wrecks, all because other people are idiots. Sounds like a cop-out? It would be, if it wasn't completely true.
  1. Almost rear-ended--twice--by people NOT PAYING ATTENTION.
  2. and some Jackass-SUV decided his lane wasn't good enough, so he made a hostile takeover bid on my lane . . . with ME still in it!
I swear, these people and their goddamn SUV's. Oh, well. At least I can take comfort in knowing Karma is biting them in the ass now with $3.00/gallon gas. That is, until I remember that I bought a V8 Mustang. But then I remind myself that my Mustang GT still gets far better gas mileage than most SUV's and I'm right back to feeling superior. Stupid fucking SUV's.

What's that you ask? Doesn't my very dear friend, Megan, drive an SUV? Why yes, yes she does, that's very astute of you. She also voted for Bush. Twice. How in the world am I still friends with her, you ask? Because even good people whom I consider friend-worthy sometimes make boneheaded decisions. Really, really, boneheaded decisions. Besides, Megan realizes her boneheaded-ness and is regretting and striving to change for the better--or at least wishing for it. Besides, it makes for great comedy fodder on her blog.

And she doesn't drive like a Jackass.

So taking a shameless ripoff of a semi-patented Megan idea, I bring you

*The Thursday Survey*


I would make it sparkle and flash, but I'm not that technologically advanced.

So here it is, The Thursday Survey question:

Boxers or briefs?

Which would you rather watch:
A Celebrity Boxing match or
a White House Pressroom Briefing?

Both are staged and egostroking measures done out of desperation to divert attention from a failing career. For me, it's a toss up.

Wow, talking about randomness and misdirection--this post falls under both. From death and dreams to SUV's to crap survey. I guess, in the loosest possible way, you could apply death and dreams to all of these subjects as a highly subjective and abstract construct. Or not. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Cheers-Thanksalot!

Comments

~JR~ said…
Personally, I'd rather just be watching the Daily Show ;o)
Tim said…
A) Fake Spammer Comments suck donkey poop.

B) I agree with jr, any other option seems like a better bet.

C) Since it is a pole, I guess a whitehouse briefing, but only if it is the briefing where they discuss how much they enjoyed impeaching Bushy and how great it is to be bringing Billy Clinton in for an unprecidented 3rd and 4th term.
The Megan said…
I prefer guys in boxer briefs... mmm, yessss... wait... is that not what we were talking about... sorry i was busy running people off the road in my mo fo SUV while talking on my cellphone and adjusting the radio dial... but the person i cut off turned out to have a Bush/Cheney '04 sticker on their bumper sticker, so I'm sure you will cut me some slack... =P
The Megan said…
ps my poll idea is FULLY PATENTED, thank-you-very-much... patent #35295685325 with the national patent office.
but i will be more than happy to let you expand on the idea on your post... as long as it is on not on wednesdays, when people need to be fully commited to contemplating and commenting on my poll.

ps my posting may be cut significantly... well, maybe to 3 times a week. our office is doing some major auditing of internet usage, and me thinks heads are gonna roll... therefore, spending most of the day surfing may have come to an end... *sniff sniff*...
Tim said…
Oh, Honey I wont believe it.
The Megan said…
ME NO WANNA GET FIRED!!!
James said…
Megan, consider your slacks cut.
The Megan said…
but James, i'm not wearing slacks......ohhhhhhhhh...

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATE TO PREVIOUS POST

Tim's flight went smoothly and he is now in Arkansas. My day feels hollow without being able to IM him. Still no word on exactly when he'll be back--either Friday night or Saturday morning/afternoon. Oh, and add that supreme bitch, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) to the list of modern-era senators refusing to cosponser the anti-lynching measure. I have also added her to my litany of reasons for truly despising this fucktard state in which I live. MEMO TO THE GOP: Your true (lack of) colors are showing. Smarmy sanctimonious bastards.

On "Political Differences"

I had some thoughts on this interesting article and was gonna thread them on my Twitter timeline, but I have too much to say on the matter, so I decided to dig out and dust off my old blog and post them here. Here's the thing about explicitly disliking a "political other" that the media doesn't want to cop to: There is actually clearly a right and wrong side at this point in history. Once upon a time, the differences in the Democratic and the Republican parties were simply regional and political stances on tax policy and fiscal spending and a myriad of other procedural thingamabobs. Precisely because both parties were inherently and inexorably racist, misogynistic, and LGBTQ-phobic because America  was vastly racist, misogynistic, and LGBTQ-phobic. Some might argue that it still is. And they're right. It is. But it used to be FAR, FAR worse and much more banally violent about it, too. POC, women, and LGBTQ people were freely beaten and murdered, with little