Skip to main content

One Rita, Extra Salt


(photo CBS News/AP/NOAA)

As if it weren't enough that Katrina destroyed all those thousands of New Orleanian homes, displacing a quarter-million people, Rita's got to come in and threaten to destroy many of those evacuee's new homes and shelters in Houston. Sheesh, enough with the major hurricanes already. We get it Nature, you are the supreme bitch ruling over all Earth with a might so powerful as to boil the very oceans themselves.

Anyway, Houston is another town to which I have ties--I was born there, survived Hurricane Alicia in 1983 there, and lived there for several years as a child. Oh, and I loved its Natural History Musuem. Yes, Houston is not only the origins of me, it's also the origins of my geeky-nerdiness. Maybe that's why I still hold some affection for the dirty, overcrowded, polluted, crime-ridden megaopolis.

Houston's a resilient place, so despite Rita's worst, I know it will survive and flourish together with its sister-in-disaster, New Orleans. I can see it now, New Orleans & Houston: We Survived the Bitch Twins. No, not Jenna and Barbara; Austin already barely survived those bitches.

So batton down the hatches, it's going to be a bumpy weekend, and not just in Houston/Galveston. Rita will most likely still be a hurricane when she passes through North Texas as well. That's one mighty powerful she-demon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IQ

Again, I saw this on Megan's Blog and had to try it out. I don't mean to brag, but . . . My IQ Is 140 Logical Intelligence is Genius Verbal Intelligence is Genius Mathematical Intelligence is Genius General Knowledge is Genius A Quick and Dirty IQ Test BTW, go check out Tim's Blog to see Sebastian's dietary progress since last November . . . the difference will blow your fragile little mind. Cheers-Thanksalot!

Sh!t L!st

Since I seemed to have ruffled someone's feathers enough by calling the Senator from Texas a bitch for not cosponsering an anti-lynching bill (which she later did retroactively, thus I removed the qualifier "supreme" from my insult), I thought I would make a list of all the assholes who've pissed me off, both politically and personally, some if not most of whom I will "disparage" at will. Just exercising my right to freedom of speech by voicing my opinion. I will not slander or libel anyone by making false accusations, but I will call people naughty names and rant and rave about things they've done or said, or things they should have done or said yet stayed mute. I am not politically correct, I do not kowtow to "Dear Leader" and his party of right-wing, affluent hooligans just because he happen to be president and let planes crash into buildings on his watch. I will criticize and insult him, anyone in his party, and anyone outside his party who...

Death, Dreams, and The Thursday Survey

To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub; For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come . . . --Prince Hamlet of Denmark, Hamlet by William Shakespeare I think maybe my mind is preoccupied with something lately. I've been having a lot of dreams about death the past few nights. Not violent or murderous dreams; I haven't killed anyone nor has anyone been "killed," per se. No, just dying. They've been emotionally intense dreams to say the least. Maybe it's just my mind's way of trying to deal with my grandmother's sudden death and all the death and destruction inundating us every night on the television since Katrina busted the levees and Potemkin-President Bush murdered all those thousands of people through his wonton and arrogant negligence. Hmm . . . Think I could be feeling some anger, too. Since I wrote Tuesday's post, I have to admit my optimism has jaded a bit. The red sun rising over the horizon of my morning drive now seems ...