Skip to main content

The Essence of Time

Time is a funny and fickle thing. Take the time since my last post for example; I hadn't realized just how long it had been since then--and that has only been a week! If you look at the comment from the last post, you will find an example of how time catches up with us all.

Marianne was a friend of mine when I was 16 years-old, and having heard from her, I realize just how far away, yet so close that time was. It has been nine years since then, and all I can say is wow, my life has really changed since then. So much so that I can't believe it has only been nine years, but simultaneously I can't believe it was almost a decade ago--such a relatively long time that has seemingly flown by in retrospect. Marianne is the only person I have heard from from that group of friends in four years, and that person was Michelle Guidry (Michelle, if you read this, and you probably won't, leave a comment so that I can contact you, and if you know her, tell her about this blog!), but as far as the rest of them are concerned, zip.

Another example of how time really screws with the mind is my friend Lesley. She is home now, released from the hospital exactly eight days after she was admitted. She died twice and has undergone surgery to implant a mini-defribulator, but now she is home and recovering, hoping to be back at work in a couple of weeks. The precious few minutes between Bekka calling 9-1-1 and the ambulance's arrival, and the first 24 hours Lesley was in ICU were the longest short blocks of time Bekka's life. In contrast, the eight days Lesley was in the hospital seems like an extremely short amount of time for such a life-threatening ordeal.

Time is so fleeting, yet so prolonged, and supposedly a universal constant, but just now I have noticed that time has escaped my notice, and it is time to watch CSI Miami. Ciao for now my faithful readers, it is time to go watch Lt. Horatio solve murders, put on his sunglasses after giving a slightly sanctimonious speech, and walk off into the Florida sun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATE TO PREVIOUS POST

Tim's flight went smoothly and he is now in Arkansas. My day feels hollow without being able to IM him. Still no word on exactly when he'll be back--either Friday night or Saturday morning/afternoon. Oh, and add that supreme bitch, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) to the list of modern-era senators refusing to cosponser the anti-lynching measure. I have also added her to my litany of reasons for truly despising this fucktard state in which I live. MEMO TO THE GOP: Your true (lack of) colors are showing. Smarmy sanctimonious bastards.

On "Political Differences"

I had some thoughts on this interesting article and was gonna thread them on my Twitter timeline, but I have too much to say on the matter, so I decided to dig out and dust off my old blog and post them here. Here's the thing about explicitly disliking a "political other" that the media doesn't want to cop to: There is actually clearly a right and wrong side at this point in history. Once upon a time, the differences in the Democratic and the Republican parties were simply regional and political stances on tax policy and fiscal spending and a myriad of other procedural thingamabobs. Precisely because both parties were inherently and inexorably racist, misogynistic, and LGBTQ-phobic because America  was vastly racist, misogynistic, and LGBTQ-phobic. Some might argue that it still is. And they're right. It is. But it used to be FAR, FAR worse and much more banally violent about it, too. POC, women, and LGBTQ people were freely beaten and murdered, with little