Skip to main content

Spring Break is Over--Finally

Well kids, ain't this been an interesting week?

First I spend the first two days of my vacation working 10 and 14 hours laying almost 400 square feet of floor tile at my parents' house. Then, after spending the third day recovering from the first two, on Thursday, after calling Citibank to ask for a $15,000 loan to consolidate our debts (an extremely nerve wracking experience all its own that takes a week to get an answer), we found out about our dear friend Lesley's virus induced heart failure, and instead of spending the day helping Tim take care of Lesley's partner, Bekka (who was so overwrought with concern for Lesley she had hardly eaten, slept, nor showered since noon the previous day), I instead spent the day consoling my other friend, Leeann, because her dickhead boyfriend decided to pull a Houdini on her the day before, when they had made plans, without so much as a phone call and avoided returning anyone's calls until Thursday night, only to have them tentatively make-up on Friday (personally, considering this was not the first time he had done something similar, I would have drop-kicked his ass to the curb). Did I mention that during all this I was nursing an infected tooth?

Friday things started looking up when we found out Lesley was able to be awake and communicative without her heart stopping, my tooth started getting better, and we managed to do at least one thing we had planned for our vacation when we went and saw Dawn of the Dead (fabulously scary movie by the way, much better than the 1978 version--if you see it, stay for the credits, more stuff happens!). However, even that day wasn't without its own brand of crap. We were supposed to see Leeann after the movie, and after calling her to tell her we could come over, she said she had an errand to run and that she would call us when she got back. She kinda blew us off. We stayed around the neighborhood to kill time, and gave up after two hours of waiting for her to call. When we got home, there was a message on our machine from her (hello! when we're not at home, CALL THE CELL PHONE, DUH! IT'S WHAT WE USED TO MAKE THE POST-MOVIE CALL IN THE FIRST PLACE!). So we saw the movie, but wasted the rest of the day, and my tooth started to flair up again.

Saturday was actually much better after a shaky start--that morning I awoke to an empty koi pond. Apparently, when our black koi, Ghost-fish, decided to commit suicide by jumping out of the pond, he wanted to commit a little mass murder in the process by knocking over the fountainhead on his way out, effectively draining the pond to aboout three inches of water. Luckily, the other ten fish and the three-legged bullfrog, Tripod, survived the sudden drought, having the last fishy-laugh since they survived and Ghost didn't. We refilled the pond, gave Ghost a dumpster funeral, and bolted the pump to a brick so this wouldn't happen again. Later that morning Bekka called us to say Lesley continued to improve, and we finally went to see Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King with another good friend of ours, Angel, and spent the rest of the day and evening with her.

Today, the only day I haven't, a) been in excruciating pain, b)working my ass off, c) wasting time waiting for a phone call that never came, or d) handling a crisis of one form or anther, I tried to do some of the homework that was assigned for spring break, but failed in a fit of fustration (no offense Chris, but I could not finish reading Owens's work, I just couldn't handle its difficulty after the week I've had...I think I would have much rather had four teeth pulled).

Here I am, at the ass-end of the week from hell, and I have only managed to get about fifty percent of my homework done (all of it written, that I managed to get out of the way Friday night, March 12), needing another week off to recover from my past week off, and feeling a little irritated with Leeann, majorly pissed at Dave, and immensely relieved to hear that Lesley continues to improve after being emotionally strung-out about her condition. Oh, and my tooth is finally well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATE TO PREVIOUS POST

Tim's flight went smoothly and he is now in Arkansas. My day feels hollow without being able to IM him. Still no word on exactly when he'll be back--either Friday night or Saturday morning/afternoon. Oh, and add that supreme bitch, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) to the list of modern-era senators refusing to cosponser the anti-lynching measure. I have also added her to my litany of reasons for truly despising this fucktard state in which I live. MEMO TO THE GOP: Your true (lack of) colors are showing. Smarmy sanctimonious bastards.

On "Political Differences"

I had some thoughts on this interesting article and was gonna thread them on my Twitter timeline, but I have too much to say on the matter, so I decided to dig out and dust off my old blog and post them here. Here's the thing about explicitly disliking a "political other" that the media doesn't want to cop to: There is actually clearly a right and wrong side at this point in history. Once upon a time, the differences in the Democratic and the Republican parties were simply regional and political stances on tax policy and fiscal spending and a myriad of other procedural thingamabobs. Precisely because both parties were inherently and inexorably racist, misogynistic, and LGBTQ-phobic because America  was vastly racist, misogynistic, and LGBTQ-phobic. Some might argue that it still is. And they're right. It is. But it used to be FAR, FAR worse and much more banally violent about it, too. POC, women, and LGBTQ people were freely beaten and murdered, with little