Skip to main content

Various Sundry Things

It's funny the things you notice when your minds is overwhelmed with crisis. Take last week for exanple...


During the course of event surrounding Lesley's health crisis, I kept noticing the strangest, most superficial things. When I was getting ready to visit the hospital, I noticed that it was the shortest time I had spent showering and getting dressed. Later, at the hospital I noticed the patterns of the carpet in the waitin gareas were conducive to pacing. I began an inner debate about whether or not the hospital architects had intended that way so that nervous visitors would have somehting to do by treading the large rectangular pattern on the floor.

After we had taken Bekka back to her apartment to change clothes, I noticed a new blink182 CD on their bar next to the empty Target Gift Card holder we had given Lesley for her birthday just two days before. I assumed she had bought the CD with the gift card, though I never confirmed it with Bekka. When I arrived at Leeann's house to comfort her, I noticed a dubbed blink182 CD on her breakfast table, which reminded me that Bekka had been wearing a blink182 sweatshirt when we met her at the hospital, before she changed clothes. I joked to Leeann that blink182 was responsible for the week's events, considering it had been a common thread running throughout the respective crises.

But the question remains, why did I notice these things in the first place? Maybe it is because the mind can only process htings in small increments, and when faced with such traumatic, life-altering events, it focuses on simpler, mundane things to occupy itslef while the subconscious quietly absorbs the shock; a defense mechanism to protect the psyche from sudden trauma.

Though, I still think blink182 had something to do with it all...

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATE TO PREVIOUS POST

Tim's flight went smoothly and he is now in Arkansas. My day feels hollow without being able to IM him. Still no word on exactly when he'll be back--either Friday night or Saturday morning/afternoon. Oh, and add that supreme bitch, Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX) to the list of modern-era senators refusing to cosponser the anti-lynching measure. I have also added her to my litany of reasons for truly despising this fucktard state in which I live. MEMO TO THE GOP: Your true (lack of) colors are showing. Smarmy sanctimonious bastards.

On "Political Differences"

I had some thoughts on this interesting article and was gonna thread them on my Twitter timeline, but I have too much to say on the matter, so I decided to dig out and dust off my old blog and post them here. Here's the thing about explicitly disliking a "political other" that the media doesn't want to cop to: There is actually clearly a right and wrong side at this point in history. Once upon a time, the differences in the Democratic and the Republican parties were simply regional and political stances on tax policy and fiscal spending and a myriad of other procedural thingamabobs. Precisely because both parties were inherently and inexorably racist, misogynistic, and LGBTQ-phobic because America  was vastly racist, misogynistic, and LGBTQ-phobic. Some might argue that it still is. And they're right. It is. But it used to be FAR, FAR worse and much more banally violent about it, too. POC, women, and LGBTQ people were freely beaten and murdered, with little